Friday, September 9, 2011

Oregon Coast 2011 Day 5 Lincoln City (Siletz Bay) to Yachats

Kevin/Jo: Today’s ride was pretty easy-approx. 44 miles and 1,100 feet of climbing. So, we call it mostly flat. The northwest winds were blowing around 20 mph most of the time, so we were able to make great time.
In Newport we stopped for lunch at Nana’s Irish Pub. The food was quite good, and it had a nice atmosphere. One of the waitresses was wearing a very tiny Guinness Stout promotional dress. It was quite impressive. No photos, as that would be creepy.
Soon we approached the bridge over Yaquina Bay. I looked for a button to press to turn on the flashing “Cyclists on Bridge” lights, but instead found three un-opened 16oz. cans of PBR! Road booty!
The remaining miles to Yachats were pretty flat. With the tailwind assist, we made good time.

Janet: Leisure morning for me again as I searched for motels for the next few days. Since I had to check out at 11am, finished the search in the car out in the parking lot where I could still get internet service. With that task done, headed out. First stop, Rocky Creek Viewpoint. Great views but very cold and windy. I walked around on the short trail and watched the waves crash on the rocks. Kevin texted me to be sure and take the Otter Crest Loop. Along the loop, stopped at Cape Foulweather which was appropriately named I thought since it was cold and windy and this is September. Continuing on the loop, next stop Devil's Punchbowl, a collapsed sea cave. I took the trail to the beach to watch the surfers even saw a SUP out there.

Met up with Jo and Kevin at the motel, Deane's Oceanfront Lodge. The motel recommended Heidi's Italian Specialties for dinner. Cute little place with really good food.

No comments: